• Watersports (Part 2)

    Being able to get water just by turning a tap is magical.

    Sure, I am guessing that most of you take it for granted, but I have to say that just watching water coming out of a tap is quite entrancing.

    Now don't get me wrong, I had no problem pulling water from a well, it was a three times a week ritual, sometimes more. Rain, shine or snow I would trudge down to the well, lift the lid and drop my bucket down the well, fill two thirty litre pails then, head back home to fill my 'water pot'.

    When you are doing this you tend to have a mind to rationing water, not that it was any great hassle to go back down to the well and refill, but I guess my overriding control harks back to the days that I faced a twelve kilometre trip to fetch water.

    Even now, with my seemingly never-ending supply from the borehole, I find myself watching as I fill the container and mentally working out when I will next need to refill.

    Even so, after a week of walking outside to the tap and filling my container I decided I needed something more. I needed to prepare for winter.

    If the pipe continued to lay on the ground when winter comes I will be stuck without water and potentially the pipe will be irreparably damaged.

    I decided that I was going to move my water supply indoors!

    This was going to entail a pipe, at least 1.5 metres underground, then running it into the house itself. It was also an opportunity for me to turn the pump-house into something resembling a real workplace and not just stuff thrown into a room and left to run.

    The pipe was going to need to run about thirty metres to the house, and like I said, at least one and a half metres underground, no small task, and the excavator wasn't available.

    In addition, I wanted to move the pump to it's fianl resting place, attach the piping and filters to the walls and generally make the pump room look a little more professional.

    Moving the pump and laying out the new pipe was a simple enough task, getting the pump to pull water again, well that was something completely different.

    I could pull water up the pie by pushing it down the borehole then pulling back up again. The non-return valve did it's job and a few minutes of pushing and pulling and I would get a head of water coming out of the pipe.

    Priming the pump was easy enough, despite the fact that the filler hole is pretty small. But, gettinmg the water through the filters... The best that I was managing was one filter half full, the other less than a quarter.

    In all, I spent about seven hours trying to get the system operational again.

    In the end I decided that the only option that was available to me was to reduce the system to it's most basic level, get that working, then think about adding the 'niceties' afterward.

    Out came the filters, sections of piping and their connectors were removed and a single pipe now runs from the borehole to the pump. On the outlet side, again a single pipe to the tap.

    Pump switched on and all is working fine. I have water running to a tap that is in the house.

    But...

    The pump isn't shutting down. It's getting up to pressure but it's still running. There's still a problem somewhere.

    I think that maybe I can reduce the pressure reading that will switch off the pump, but all I manage to do is electrocute myself when the section I open turns out to be a pressure pipe.

    In the end I switch off and call it a day.
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.