• Watersports (Part 1)


    It's been a long, long time since I had the benefits of running water.

    Until now, the closest I ever got was the spring, a twelve-kilometre journey, whenever I needed to top up my supply.

    So, upon arriving here and finding out that I had a borehole that I could draw water from, well (pardon the pun), it was a bit of excitement.

    Of course, the fact that; the borehole hadn't been used in fifteen years or more, there was the possible issue of run-off from the fields being sprayed, not knowing the depth of the borehole or even if it was useable meant that there was work to be done before I could have my own water supply.

    The first job was to lower a weight down the pipe to see how far it went. I gave  up at 42 metres (although I have since found that it is in fact over 60 metres deep).

    Working out the volume based on the width of the pipe and depth of water I had a little under 1000 litres of water available. More than enough for my animals and my requirements.

    Now I had to sort out a pump.

    My first attempt at pumping water from the borehole was a bit of a failure. I was then told that the laws of physics stated that water couldn't be pulled up more than nine metres. This pump was consigned to become the river pump, supplying water to the barns and growing areas. I needed a different type of beast to get water out of the damned hole.

    An inline pump was the answer, a slim cylindrical pump that is lowered to the bottom of the well or borehole then pumps water back up to the surface. I duly went off to the building supplies and purchased the finest pump that they had.

    Of course, as is the way of life, things didn't go smoothly. It turns out that the pump is a 3 phase machine, I only have single phase electric, in addition, what I had initially thought to be a lip of a smaller diameter pipe within the borehole, was in fact where a section of pipe had come loose and was tilted over, so, even if I had managed to lower the pump down into the pipe, it would have gone no further than eight or nine metres.

    Fortunately, I managed to get a refund and it was then a case of back to the drawing board.

    I was convinced that the initial pump that I had purchased, should be able to pull water up from the depths, so I decided that I would give it one more try. The rationale behind my convictions was the fact that I had a non-return valve at the end of the piping and this surely would allow water to be pulled up in increments, thereafter pumped to wherever I so desired.

    So, I threaded the piping down the borehole, aiming for the full sixty-metre depths, primed the pipe (filled it with water), attached the pipe to the pump, primed the pump (fill that with water too) and switched on...

    Success, I had water coming out of the ground and splashing over the weeds.

    Reading up on re-using wells after a long period of inactivity I was aware that I should completely pump out the well three times. After this, I planned to test for bugs, chemicals etc. It would also give me the opportunity to see how quickly it would refill as well.

    Calculations told me that the borehole would be fully pumped out after 43 minutes, so two hours later when there was still water coming from the pump I had to wonder what was going on.

    After five hours and, still with water coming out, I decided that I just had to accept that I had access to something more than a borehole.

    The next day I ran the tests, all came back as safe or well within acceptable limits, and voila! I had running water!


  • You might also like

    1 comment:

    1. A bucket of water...Such a beautiful sight!

      ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.